These cupcakes are perfect for any marzipan lover. Probably not so great for people who don’t like marzipan.They’re quick, easy to make, and taste great. I made two batches, the first I decorated with simple icing, and the second I covered in a perversely sickly (in a good way) frosting. Here’s how you do it:
- 1 cup soya milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 cup plain flour
- ⅓ cup ground almonds
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100g of marzipan, cut into 1cm cubes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Whisk together the soya milk and apple cider vinegar. Put to one side.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt. Put to one side.
- Get your original bowl (with the soya milk and apple cider mixture in) and add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract and almond extract. Beat until foamy.
- In two batches, add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until there are no lumps. Add in the marzipan cubes, making sure they do not stay clumped together.
- Pour the mixture into the liners until each case is ¾ full. Bake for 18 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting, or eat warm if you can’t wait.
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- 3 cups of icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp almond extract
- splash soya milk
- flaked almonds, crumbled
Mix the shortening and margarine together, add in the extract and icing sugar. You can do this with an electric mixer, or beat for aaages with a fork to get it fluffy. Add a splash of soya milk to get it to the desired consistency, mix in the crumbled flaked almonds, and then decorate your cakes. Enjoy!